Study in Australia

Australia is one of the most popular destinations for students wishing to study overseas. Recent figures indicate that there were 685,499 overseas enrolments in Australia in July 2017. Of that number, 172,935 were Vocational Education and Training (VET) students.

For more information visit Study in Australia.


Living in Australia Costs

International students are required to demonstrate and/or declare that they have genuine access to sufficient funds to be granted a Student visa. This includes funds to cover travel, tuition and living expenses. Applicants may have to demonstrate sufficient funds to cover these expenses for the first one, two or three years in Australia, depending on their Assessment Level (AL).

While international students are able to supplement their income with money earned through part-time work in Australia, the ‘living costs’ requirement helps to support the success of students in their studies by ensuring that they do not to rely on such work to meet all their expenses.

From October 2019, Student visa applicants and their family members must have access to the following funds as a minimum to meet the living costs requirements:

  • $21,041.00 per year for the main student
  • $7,362.00 per year for the student’s partner / spouse
  • $3,152.00 per year for each of the student’s children

Applicant must demonstrate that the funds they are relying upon to meet the costs of studying in Australia will be genuinely available to them during their stay in Australia.

For further information, go to the following sites:


ACBC can help and provide assistance to overseas students in arranging suitable accommodation. Liverpool has many options for students including home stay, shared accommodation, serviced apartments and private leasing. Many of these accommodation options are close to ACBC.

Some accommodation options include:

  • Shared Accommodation. This involves sharing the apartment with one or more adults, you’ll have your own bedroom but will share household responsibilities (like cleaning and laundry). You provide your own linen and food and usually pay extra for services such as electricity and telephone. Cost $85-$ 215 per week.
  • Rental Accommodation. By signing a legal contract with a landlord or real estate agency, you can rent an apartment or house – choosing from furnished or unfurnished (although unfurnished is more usual). You will be solely responsible for the cost of electricity, gas, water, telephone and groceries. Most real estate agencies require a bond equivalent to 4 weeks rent in addition to 2 weeks rent paid in advance and a letting fee which usually equates to 1 weeks rent. Cost $165-$ 440 per week.
  • Homestay is where students choose to live with an Australian family. You are provided with a bedroom and can use the family’s home at leisure. However, there are a number of rules that you will need to familiarise yourself with and more information about this can be provided upon request. Cost $235-$325 per week.

Student support services

During your enrolment, ACBC will deliberately engage with you on a number of occasions. We do this through requesting you to complete enrolment documentation, discussions over the phone, an enrolment interview and finally during your orientation. One of the important objectives of these engagements is to understand what support services you may need to fully participate in your study. You will be asked various questions about your support needs or your “individual needs”. This is simply the term we use to define what your needs are and this enables us to organise the appropriate support services. Make sure you take the most of this opportunity and let us know if you need support.

What support is available?

ACBC will use a combination of our own services and the services of referral agencies to either provide or refer you to the following support services:

  • Language, Literacy and Numeracy Support
  • Study and Learning Coaching
  • English as Second Language Tuition
  • Alternative Payment Plan
  • Counselling Support
  • Disability Access
  • Medical Services Referral
  • Legal Services Referral
  • Housing / Accommodation Services Referral
  • Employment Services Referral

If you need support during your course, please approach and inform Student Services and you will be connected with the best person who can assist you. If the matter is sensitive and you do not feel comfortable discussing it with Student Services, simply inform reception that you would like to meet with the Campus Manager. It is our absolute priority to provide you the support needed to enable you to progress in your study and complete your chosen course. ACBC is committed to our student’s welfare both during and after hours of study.

Have questions?

Complete your details below and our friendly team will be in touch.

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)

    Your Phone (required)

    Your Message

    By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.